Friday, March 15, 2013

Mind Games with Color and Food

Recently while eating at a fast food joint, my friend had asked me if I was aware that most restaurants had begun incorporating the color red into their marketing. While I had noticed it happening individually between the companies and their logos, I'd never actually stopped and thought about it collectively. According to my friend, the reasoning behind it was that it "makes you hungry", a rather bland answer, but plausible nonetheless.

Needless to say my curiosity had been piqued, so I looked into it a bit more. Turns out there was in fact substance to the claim, because according to a page on Bluesky-Web, the color red has the power to stimulate appetite and hint at the speed that the food would be available to you. Likewise, other colors can have different effects on us! For example, we'd hardly go near any food that's colored blue unless it's filled with sugar and artificial flavors, but the most popular color for appetite supplements is blue! Coincidence? I'd say not!

It's astounding that I'd never taken the time to observe the use of color around me for the purpose of thought manipulation, and I love that it works the way it does!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to say the least. Great post. You gotta love good ole marketing tactics. Thanks for dropping by the blog doll. Peace, Love & Blessings!

    Natasha B|Fashionably Fabulous

    ReplyDelete