Sunday, January 27, 2013

Presentation Thursday night.

     Thursday night the presentation that Professor Alford gave was enlightening and unexpected. I have to admit I did not expect the criteria that Professor Alford to be so modern and entertaining. The show in Santa Fe "Trends in New Media Art" had very many unexpected displays. One display that really caught my attention was the family, each family member by themselves doing "typical" family functions, at least I thought.  The little boy was smashing plates, obviously letting out his anger like any young little boy. The sister diving in a pile of stuffed animals, seeking comfort and attention. The mother overwhelmed in laundry creates a wall barrier out of socks in her closet, her most loved room. And the father is outside with a hose trying to "put out the fire" or any fires the family might have between one another. I really appreciated this piece because it represents the everyday family and their typical issues. 
    Another piece I appreciated was a short film of a firework exploding, a balloon popping and wood logs falling. I did not understand the meaning right away until professor Alford told us it represented fire, water, and earth. Which made me wonder if she choose them exploding to represent the earth exploding to the fault of humans destroying mother nature. Not only the objects she choose and how she showed them falling apart, she filmed these actions in a 360 circle getting every view. 
     I was delighted by the presentation, because its great to see what modern day artist are coming up with and using different media is always nice to something new and different. As an artist I feel that, that is one of the hardest things as an artist, is to come up with a new idea or presentation that no one else has done before, as a modern artist I believe that is our biggest challenge is to create a completely new idea that has never been done before.   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment